私は日本語が好きです。

I bet not many people can read the title of this post. It says “I like Japanese” in, of course, Japanese. It amazes me how far I’ve come in my study.

I went to Oldenborg, the foreign language dining hall, yesterday to practice speaking Japanese being the good student that I am. (Actually, it’s required that I go three times a week….) Anyway, it just blows me away how far I came. I remember my first time going to the Japanese language table being only able to say “This is a pencil,” “This is a book,” or “This is a _____” (fill in the blank here). Now, I can have more detailed and longer conversations about topics that are actually interesting. (We talked about video games.)

By no means has Japanese gotten easier. In fact, it became a lot more complicated with the more complex grammar patterns and new kanji. Japanese takes a lot of my time because I have to study for hours. No matter how time consuming it is, I still enjoy it.

Coming from no Japanese knowledge to a basic understanding of the language is great. Sometimes, I question why do I do this to myself. I can answer that: because it is something that I have always wanted to learn, but never had the resources to do back in Georgia. I’ll keep going with this. Who knows, maybe I’ll study abroad in Japan next year.

シャケーラ