Elections

In case you somehow forgot in the midst of all the ads, videos, articles, status updates, and tweets, today is Election Day. And although Jenessa already beat me to it, I thought I would talk about it for a bit.

As I was walking through the SCC, I passed students entering the polling place at Edmunds Ballroom. I, unfortunately, had to keep walking, because I somehow managed to mess up my registration form and then neglected to check my mailbox for a couple of weeks, leaving me no time to send in a revised form. (College lesson #72: Check your mail fairly regularly.) My sponsor did try to comfort me with the fact that California isn’t exactly a swing state, but I am still disappointed I am not able to vote. Coming from Australia, where voting is mandatory and you are fined for not doing so, I find it interesting that under two-thirds of the country actually votes in the Presidential Elections. Though I don’t think that enforcing voting this way is necessarily the best policy (the amount of teenagers I hear who vote for them just because they think it would be hilarious makes me sad), it at least gets people into the voting booths. I would hope that at a school such as Pomona, everyone who is capable of filling out a simple registration form without making a stupid mistake can vote, does.