Almost There

The semester is almost over!  Today is the last day of classes!  We are ALMOST THERE!  I don’t know why, but somehow now that we’re so close to the end I’m finding it extremely difficult to motivate myself to get to work.  Like right now, I’m blogging instead of studying.  I just don’t want to do anything.  But the thing is, we’re so close!  A week from today I will be done done done!  I’m especially lucky because out of my 4.5 classes, I only have 1.5 final things.  Three of my classes had their final meeting this week, and that’s it, we’re done!  And yet it’s still a struggle to get to work.  Maybe it’s because my main final thing is going to be hard (a paper and presentation).  Maybe it’s because I’m already thinking about what I’m going to do over winter break and my mind has already started on vacation.  All of the sudden going to the gym or cleaning my room sound like great ideas of things to occupy my time.

At times like these when everything is overwhelming (and all you want to do is curl up, eat chocolate, and catch up on Downton Abbey—or at least that’s what I want to do) I remind myself that though it’s bad now, it’s not forever.  I like to think of that proverb (of uncertain, maybe Jewish!, origins): This too shall pass.  So I tell myself to just put it all in perspective, take a deep breath, buckle down, and do what you need to do.  It’s when I’m worried about something and don’t know how to start or how to study that I end up spending inordinate amounts of time on facebook.  Also I know that I need to factor in plenty of study breaks and human interaction, otherwise I will go completely crazy.