47 Day Countdown

There are exactly 47 days between today, April 3, and May 19 (if you count both of those days.)  Why does this matter?  Well, if you don’t go to Pomona, the 47 aspect won’t make a lot of sense (47 is Pomona’s magic number), and if you’re not a senior, the May 19 part won’t be very significant.  But for those of us seniors, this means 47 days until graduation.

That’s crazy.  That means only 47 more days of being Pomona students.  Of being in college at all.  47 days until we have to move out and move on.  I am soooo not ready for this.  47 days seems like not very many days—so much left to do, so little time.

Naomi Wagner, fellow senior at Pomona, has some thoughts about the 47 day mark until graduation:

“This is a 47 that I’m having trouble getting excited about… Like most of my classmates, I’ve grown attached to the number 47. Honestly, freshman year I thought the Pomona obsession with 47 was a little over-the-top. But, it’s grown on me. I light up every time I get a receipt for $47.47 (I think I’ve only had that happen once!), or every time I see house number 4747 on a street, or every time I drive by an exit 47 (even if it’s not *our* exit 47).

But finding out that we only have 47 days left until graduation definitely made me more sad than excited. I feel like as the end of my time at Pomona gets closer, the more I come to appreciate Pomona & the 5Cs and the more I realize how much I’m going to miss this & especially the people here. Of course I have friends who are so ready and excited to move on to the “real world” (whatever that is… :p). But I think inside, everyone in the class of 2013 is going to miss the comfort of Pomona next year.

Despite the busyness of finishing up thesis and applying for jobs and scholarships and making summer plans, I really hope we can all enjoy these last 47 days! And I hope that even the people who are itching to get that college diploma are able to put their post-grad excitement on hold to appreciate how awesome Pomona is. Even though Pomona has its faults and its frustrating aspects sometimes, at the end of the day it’s a pretty great place to call home.  If I didn’t have 47 million other things to do, I would totally make a list of 47 reasons why Pomona is awesome. Or 47 things to do before graduation… but I guess that will have to wait until after my thesis draft is due!”