Meeting Royalty in DC

On July 29th, the Jordanian Embassy co-hosted an event with Generations for Peace, a non-profit organization that focuses on leveling the playing for youth around the world to ensure that children around the world have equal access to education, health care, and opportunities. With three interns assigned to checking in guests, I was told to greet guests as they entered the lobby of the Library of Congress. After casually greeting guests that I’ve never seen before, I realized that I just shook hands with the Prince of Jordan, Prince Faisal, the brother of the current King. Although we didn’t talk for those few seconds that I said “Welcome!,” I was still honored that I met the Prince! Meeting him that night along with greeting and have a brief conversation with the ambassador to the US from Jordan made my night. As the Prince and Ambassador made their keynote speeches that night, I watched in awe and made it my personal goal to talk to both figures and take pictures with them.

Embassy of Jordan interns with Prince Faisal of Jordan

While waiting for guests to empty out so I could have a chance to speak with the Prince and Ambassador, I met two young professionals that work at the National Council of Arab-American Relations. Perfect timing! This was my chance to network, introduce myself, and make it clear that I’m interested in the organization that has an internship program in place every summer that places interns in embassies and government agencies. The conversation couldn’t have gone any better. I automatically got along really well with them since they were not uptight at all. In fact, they were drinking, and their age helped too. By the end of our conversation, I found out that I was at the same house party as the guy by my friend and had managed to get the other professional’s business card. Bingo!

Embassy of Jordan interns with the Jordanian Ambassador to the US

As the even was winding down for the night, I finally found the chance to introduce myself to the Prince. Luckily, he was standing close to me so I turned around and stated that I was interested in the organization he founded to start the conversation and because I was genuinely interested. After talking briefly, I asked for a picture, which he gladly agreed to, but posed with both of his hands behind his back, which made for an awkward picture.  I guess royalty don’t put their arms around others. I then talked to the Ambassador, who thanked me and the rest of the interns I was with for our hard work at the Embassy and took a picture with us. I’m still waiting for the professional pictures taken that night to this day. By the end of the night, I not only had I met powerful people, but I also got three mini olive trees from gift bags, leftover appetizers since I was fasting all day, and a nice flower vase. It was a good Monday night to say the least.