Food!

As the title of this blog post suggests, I love food. Food is great. And admittedly, food was one reason I wasn’t excited about college. College food generally has a negative connotation – it’s cafeteria style, there isn’t much variety, etc. And in college, the food isn’t right there in your kitchen like it used to be. You have to leave the comfort of your dorm room, trudge up to the crowded dining hall, be overwhelmed by so many options, and end up eating way more than you actually want (this has happened to me multiple times).

But while most college students have access to really only one or two dining halls that serve very similar food, I’m lucky enough to say I have access to six. SIX. I could eat dinner at a different dining hall every day for almost a week if I wanted to.

But for most people here, it takes them a while to even try all of the dining halls just once. For me, it took about a month, and I love them all. There’s always something that suits my needs: if I’m in a hurry, Frary is usually close to wherever I need to be on Pomona’s campus. If I’m craving pasta, at least one of the dining halls has it every night of the week (so far I’ve been to Harvey Mudd’s pasta night and I can definitely say I’ll be returning). Pitzer has awesome Indian food (on Wednesdays I believe) and a great dessert bar. And Scripps is a force to be reckoned with on warm cookie night. Finally, Frank could not be more perfect for breakfast. Frank is cozy, familiar, and unbelievably convenient and has all the breakfast basics. Usually I just get eggs or cereal, but the best mornings are when I have time to get a custom omelet.

Frank dining hall on a lovely Monday afternoon

The most important part of college definitely isn’t food – the point of a college education isn’t that I’ve been able to eat at six different dining halls for four years. But everyone needs to eat, so the dining halls are inevitably a very important part of life in college. So these six dining halls are a small, albeit important, reason that I know I chose the right school.

Everyone loves Frank! (Well, at least the freshman do)