Do you love the satisfactory crunch of stepping on dry leaves?

I. Love. Fall.

And yesterday, I was reminded that others do, too, when a few friends from Scripps spotted a sidewalk segment strewn with warm-toned, brittle leaves, pointing it out enthusiastically. They proceeded to shuffle over and stomp about with delight.

Reaping the joys of early fall in shorts and a light sweatshirt? Life can't be this easy.
Reaping the joys of early fall in shorts and a light sweatshirt? Life can’t be this easy.

You may be wondering, “Janice, why are you blogging about seasons? Are you really that lame?” But seasons are important, perhaps especially for those that may be college-hunting. As an artist, I relish the inspiration that comes with crisp winds and overcast outdoor lighting schemes. As a student, I look forward to bundling up in my room with a piping hot cup of tea to indulge in some good ol’ literary analysis (not even joking). And I also just like wearing coats, boots, and circle-scarves (bonus points for fuzzy socks or a warm espresso drink in the hand—flushed cheeks and windblown hair are optional but recommended).

So, as ironic as it seems, when I realized last spring that I’d be living the dream at Pomona College for the next four years, I couldn’t help but feel a pang of remorse. I wasn’t quite ready to let go of these fond fall moments. I would miss suffering through miserable weather, seeing my breath in the air, and feeling warmth rush back into my numb fingers after spending time outside! That dreary weather, so integral to the ever-endearing “northeastern character” that I grew up around, was something I’d always imagined would be the backdrop to my college years.

The joy of finally deciding on a school, planning for independent living, traveling, adjusting, then integrating myself into a new environment soon overtook my concerns, and I had little time to ponder the weather until recently. Now I see that any moment of doubt regarding taking up residence in sunny SoCal was silly at best.

The weather here is awesome! Sure, I made fun of my friends when they broke out the knits as soon as the weather reached a comfortable 70º, but for those of you reading this from a place of cold winters and misconceptions about Claremont weather, I assure you that one can enjoy the inspiration of fall without suffering the numbing bite and inconvenience of actually cold weather.

As for snow? I’m going home for winter break! But also do recall that skiing awaits but an hour away from campus…