The Difficult Questions

Camera

“What’s your passion? What makes you angry? What do you want to change?” my photography professor asked me several days ago, claiming (correctly) that I am too comfortable with certain modes of thought.

Yet, as a generally upbeat, docile person, I am rarely angered by anything. When offended by events or people, I am incredibly more likely to be hurt or sad than I am to be mad. I can list my passions, but none cause me to rise to anger. Certain aspects of culture and society grieve me, but few truly anger me. “What’s your passion? What makes you angry? What do you want to change?” I’m sorry, Professor, but I don’t know.

One unequivocal benefit of attending a liberal arts school, and especially of attending Pomona, is the insistence that students challenge themselves ideologically, philosophically and conceptually. Students and staff encourage in depth critical thinking both inside and outside the classroom. Though constantly critically considering issues is mentally strenuous, the process is almost invariably rewarding. “Aha” moments of epiphany motivate me to continue accepting ideological challenges posed by my professors and peers.

In my opinion, one of Pomona’s greatest strengths is its emphasis on asking students questions like “What’s your passion? What makes you angry? What do you want to change?”

I’m sorry, Professor, I still don’t know.

But, Professor, I’m excited to find out.