Chasing the Sun

Yesterday, I discovered two wonderful things: Sunshine and grass. Yes, I know: How could I not have already discovered these things, considering 1. I’ve been going to school in SoCal since August, and 2. I’m from Miami, Florida?! Well, the answer to the second one is that it’s actually not very sunny in Miami (ironically), and since the humidity means we have a lot of mosquitoes buzzing around, I don’t spend very much time on the grass. However, I’ve noticed that the one nice thing about having a drought here is that we get beautiful weather. It’s not sweltering outside, and the drought means no clouds and thus plenty of blue sky. It had never occurred to me to sit down on a patch of grass and soak in the sunshine until yesterday.

I had ridden my bike over to the library to get an iced chai, but I realized that I couldn’t take ride my bike back to my dorm with my iced chai still in hand. So, I decided to sit down for a while at the library and finish my chai before heading back. As I was getting off my bike though, I realized how appealing the shaded patch of grass near the bike racks seemed. It had short grass and had a few cute squirrels running across it every now and then. That’s when I realized that instead of sitting down inside the library, I could just enjoy a few solitary minutes of being surrounded by nature. I hadn’t sat on the grass and just chilled in Pomona since I was a prospie during Admitted Students Weekend!

After I got back to my dorm, I realized that I was scheduled to have a videoshoot at 2 pm on Marston Quad, so I decided to head over to the quad 15 minutes early. I didn’t see anyone from the production, so I found another spot on the grass to sit on, but this one was speckled with both sunshine and shade. Here are some photos I took while sitting on the quad.

Me sitting on Marston Quad
Me sitting on Marston Quad
Sunshine! Trees! Yay!
Sunshine! Trees! Yay!

At around 2:15, I figured we weren’t shooting today, so I went back to my dorm to pick up a blanket and a book. I was going to do something I had never done before but probably should have started a long time ago: read outside. By the time I had gotten back to my dorm though, I realized I was too lazy to lug a throw blanket and a book all the way back over to the quad. So, I decided to just lay on the shaded grass in the Mudd-Blaisdell courtyard instead. I invited my friend and spibling, Liz, to join me. The grass in the courtyard is long, so when you lay down on a blanket on the grass, it feels cushy and fluffy. Liz came out and for about an hour we just lay in silence on the blanket, reading our respective books. After Liz left, I realized I was a little cold, so I moved my blanket out into the sunlight. Lo and behold though, the sun started to set behind the building, so I had to keep moving my blanket to stay in the sunlight. I was, in effect, chasing the sun. At around 4:30, there was no patches of sunlight left on the quad, so I took that as a sign to go back inside. But even though that was the end of my sunbathing on Sunday, it doesn’t mean it’s the end of sunbathing for me!