Advice from Alumni

At the beginning of August, I had the opportunity to attend a Pomona event for alumni, families, and students in the Seattle area. There, I asked alumni about their Pomona experiences, and what advice they have for me. I wanted to know what they consider the most important things to do before I leave in three years. I also didn’t think it would hurt to ask about some favorite Pomona moments, either.

David, Class of 1966, majored in Astronomy, worked in Computer Science, and has gotten back into astronomy in the past two years since retiring. His advice for me in the next three years? “Take a foreign exchange semester. It gives you a different perspective on the world.”

David himself didn’t study abroad, because it wasn’t as prominent when he went to Pomona, and he admitted jealousy of today’s students. At Pomona, about half the students study abroad before graduating. Pomona offers 50 programs in 31 countries, on every continent except Antarctica. I’ll have to look into all those opportunities soon…

Johnny, Class of 2006 (so you know, just a little bit younger, if you consider 40 years “a little bit”), majored in history and went to law school, and now serves as an attorney in Seattle. His advice? “Make sure to take the History of Jazz class.” When I asked about one of his favorite Pomona experiences, he mulled it over, and finally responded, “meeting my roommate, because we were completely different people.” Apparently, they didn’t get along for the first two months of so, and then ended up learning so much about themselves and each other, eventually becoming close friends. So close, that they roomed together the next year. And lived right next door their senior year, something Johnny would have never predicted.

Annie, Class of 2003, majored in biology, travelled doing work with biology and environmental education, and then moved to Seattle a week and a half before this event. Her life is still changing, as she was set to start attending Seattle Institute of Oriental Medicine to study acupuncture and Chinese massage. Her advice for the next three years? “Jump in all the fountains,” which she distinctly remembered, so it must have made a wonderful impression on her. Hopefully, I can go fountain-hopping willingly instead of being tossed in by so-called “friends.”

One of her best Pomona experiences? “The very first day of orientation, they said, ‘look at the person to the left of you. Look to the person to the right of you. These people could be your best friends.’ I’d probably known them for five minutes, because we were going on the same OA. To this day, they are my very best friends.” She had just recently been to Claremont for the wedding of two of her friends and fellow Sagehens. Oddly enough, the bride and groom had been friends in college, but only started dating about a year and a half ago. But Annie had dated the groom at Pomona, and is best friends with the bride. Even years after graduating, the couple who had been friends at school just couldn’t get rid of each other. THAT’s how much of a connection you form with Pomona. Or maybe it’s just a testament to how awesome Pomona students are.

Beth, Class of 1982, majored in psychology and is currently a Rabbi. Actually, she’s a co-Rabbi with her husband, whom she met at Pomona. But we’ll get to that. Her advice to me? “Study abroad. And, even if it’s not your main interest, take a class with Deborah Burke because she’s just phenomenal. Take many trips to A. Klein’s Chocolatiers in the village. Meet your partner for life.” Well, if you can. Beth was just very fortunate. Why? “I met my husband the 2nd day. I started dating the 1st day I got there. The 2nd day I met Jonathan and was like, ‘wow, there are really nice guys here.’” She was so enthusiastic, and wonderful.

Craig, Class of 1983, majored in Economics and Public Policy, and is now in real estate. His advice? “Go abroad.” And I thought, “Yeahyeahyeah, I’ve heard that before,” but I phrased it out loud a little more eloquently. He responded, “Ok, then, I mean, get out of your comfort zone. Still, I think there’s something amazing about immersing yourself in a foreign place where you can learn a language organically.” One of his best experiences at Pomona? “I had a cookie business. Every Friday afternoon, I’d make cookies with permission from the kitchen ladies. And sold them at places like the Motley and the Coop.” Apparently, some students swore to carry on the tradition, but it doesn’t seem to still be quite functioning in the same way today. However, the Motley still sells student-baked goods, and the organization “Challah for Hunger” sells loaves for charity every Thursday night and Friday morning.

Now, I have some more things added to my to-do list for the next three years, more advice to mull over, and a curiosity of what my answers to these questions will be in 5, 10, 20, or even 47 years.