How I Spent My Summer Vacation

I decided to take my dad’s advice and relive my elementary school days with the typical first day of school assignment, so here we are:

How I Spent My Summer Vacation, by Jenessa Irvine, Grade 16

Well, try as I might, unlike many Pomona students I didn’t have some interesting job or fascinating and resume-padding internship.  Instead, this summer I did, well, this and that.  I read quite a few books, including the book for the freshman class, The Barbarian Nurseries (which was excellent, by the way).  I probably watched many movies.  I introduced my sisters and mother to Downton Abbey and I can’t wait for the third season.  I got a bit obsessed with the Olympics and saw many sports I had never seen before (the steeplechase in track and field is one of my new favorites).  I went to the beach.  I went shopping.  I gloried in my new cooking and baking skills.  I hung out with friends.  I practiced viola less than I should have.  I watched the Dodgers lose twice (really, guys?)

I tried to exercise and also to volunteer as much as possible.  On these fronts I was moderately successful I think.  At least for volunteering I helped at my brother’s Cub Scout Day camp and ran a three-session book workshop for kids with a friend, among various other adventures.  Getting my fourth grade brother ready for school was a task in itself.

Having just been abroad and explored a new city, I wanted to come back and apply the same energy and curiosity to discovering my native Los Angeles.  It had always seemed like just “home,” somehow inexplicable, and when people I met abroad asked about LA that was more or less how I described it.  So I set out and explored a bit, and took advantage of things like a Regina Spektor concert that I don’t want to let pass me by anymore.

So there you have it.  A summer in the life of a Pomona student.  In conclusion, I think I was too busy to have a job.  Except despite, or perhaps because of, all the things I seem to have done, the summer has vanished far too quickly—and now it’s time for school. I’ve got new notebooks and I even washed my car (that’s how you know we’re getting fancy).  Time for a new year and new beginnings—not to mention new classes, professors, essays, and exams.  But let’s not dwell on that.  For now, a few more days to enjoy home cooking!