A Performance-ful Weekend

Celebrating out to dinner after the craziness

As we near the end of the year, all sorts of things are coming to a close.  Final papers, last assignments, concerts–all chances to put all the year’s hard work on display in various capacities.  For me this means a plethora of performances, many of which happened this past weekend.  This made the weekend a bit crazy, but also a whirlwind of fun.  I guess I like being busy!

My fellow American Studies seniors and I after our presentations

First on Friday I had my thesis presentation.  For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to do it without a script or even notes, but I think it went well regardless.  That “performance” marks the end of all my thesis work!  Now I just need to get all my books back to the library.

The viola section!
The viola section!

Then in the evening I was in the first of two orchestra concerts with the Pomona choir—my very last orchestra concerts at Pomona!  As seniors we got roses to pin to our tops and our names announced at the beginning of the performance, which was in many ways bittersweet.

Saturday was Human Symphony, and my fantasmical a cappella group Kosher Chords did a great job!  It is always encouraging and exciting to perform in front of an audience.  Plus we had just gotten brand new t-shirts and we generally had an awesome time.  You can see us right here, in fact:

After that I had to rush off to rehearsal for my performance the on Sunday: the Tap vs Ballet Club showdown! The idea of the performance was a “showdown” between the two clubs, so the opening and the closing had both tappers and ballet dancers together.  I am in the 5C Tap dancing Club, called On Tap.  I love many forms of dance, but I have to say tap is my favorite. You can see the piece I was in here, too!:

My friend and I, graduating together from orchestra after four awesome years!

Finally on Sunday afternoon I had my very last orchestra concert.  I have been in orchestra my entire time at Pomona and I can’t quite believe yet that I will never go to another Tuesday night rehearsal or get all dressed in black to come perform in Little Bridges.  But I guess we all have to move on eventually.

Actually after the concert on Sunday evening I had another rehearsal for a string quartet performance next week!  Plus I still have the Kosher Chords final concert next Monday (7 pm in Lyman hall!  Come!)  and another tap appearance in Fast Forward next week as well.  I guess it is just that time of year.