Oh, The Places We’ll Go!

What is next for Pomona College seniors?  We’re headed off in all kinds of directions!  I want to start with one of my favorite authors, because Dr. Seuss says it best:

Selections from  “Oh the places you’ll go!” (read the full text here!)

Congratulations!

Today is your day.

You’re off to Great Places!

You’re off and away!

OH!

THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!

You’ll be on your way up!

You’ll be seeing great sights!

You’ll join the high fliers

who soar to high heights.

You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed.

You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead.

Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best.

Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

KID, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

You’re off to Great Places!

Today is your day!

Your mountain is waiting.

So…get on your way!

So we’re off and away!  Sometimes when I hear the phrase “rising seniors” referring to current juniors, I wonder what that makes us current seniors—perhaps we are “taking off” or “blasting off” seniors, launching off the safe zone of the known at Pomona and jumping into the unknown of the real world for all we’re worth.  I have not yet figured out what I am doing next year, so I don’t yet know where I will land.  Sometimes it feels like all the fuss about leaving is overdone for me, like I’m getting all dressed up with nowhere to go; everyone is saying good-bye, but since I live pretty close to Pomona and I will likely be home next year I don’t feel like I’m really going anywhere.  But being away from campus means being out of the college life and mentality and bubble, so I’m sure it will be different.  And as my ever-supportive friends are always saying, I’m sure I will figure out my next step eventually.

But enough about that.  Many graduating seniors are doing all kinds of amazing things next year!  A lot of people are going straight to grad school or law school or med school or dental school or getting a post-bac. (Major props to them — I am taking a break from school!) Other graduates are going on to amazing programs like the Peace Corps or Teach for America, or working for non-profits on issues like public health policy.  One friend is working for the California State Senate next year!  I know people who are going across the world to places like Paris and South Korea to teach English, going to Germany for research, or making a film in Sicily, as well as people who have earned Fulbright scholarships to go abroad.  Some seniors are entering the working world directly, by setting up their own start-ups or working as consultants and at various big companies or government agencies.  A lot of us are just testing the waters and trying to find a job or the start of a career.

As we take our first steps out in the world with bachelor degrees in hand, we will always be connected to Pomona.  Hopefully we will also all stay connected to each other, too.  On Sunday we celebrate our accomplishments over the past four years; here’s to many, many more!   To paraphrase Dr. Seuss again, we will succeed.  We will yes indeed.  98 and ¾ percent guaranteed!