Forward Thinking!

So the New Year happened and I suddenly realized that the number I was writing on papers and calendars and events was the same number that would appear on my diploma:

2014.

That’s right – the official countdown to graduation is happening. And I couldn’t be more terrified. And what better thing to do when you’re afraid than to fill yourself with even more fear! That’s right – I’m starting to look for jobs. And depending on what sector I’m looking in, I can’t start applying for quite some time. So while I wait, here’s what I’ve started:

1. LinkedIn. I feel like this is basically Facebook for career minded people… or, at least, that’s what it was. LinkedIn, from what I can see, now functions as another social media platform for the lost generation to try and make it seem like they’re thinking about work. I’ve now become more obsessed with LinkedIn than I am with Facebook. I check it constantly, and I’m constantly finding things that I forgot to add. Whoops. Forgot to link this blog post. Better go add that.

The headshot for my LinkedIn, found by stalking my own Facebook shamelessly for the only picture of me alone in a shirt and tie.
  2. Resumes. This seems like something I should have done a long time ago. But, surprise! Justin was once again underprepared. So I toiled, and went to the Career Development Office, and toiled some more, and typed a lot, and finally put together all of my work experience and research experience on one sheet of paper. No one said there had to be any margins, right?
  3. Internships. Or, at least, my parents told me to start looking there. Turns out that most internships in any field I want to work in only hire current college students. I won’t currently be a college student come May when I have to pay my own rent and fend for myself in the real world. Let’s see how this search continues.
  4. Finding myself. As corny as it sounds, nothing tells you what you’re interested in and what you want to do more than looking for jobs does. Putting together resumes and portfolios and applications has actually taught me a lot about myself. And while the first three posts on this list were written in varying degrees of sarcasm, this one isn’t. What I’ve taken away from all of this “job” stuff is that I was being too close-minded for a long time. There’s a lot of things I’d love to do. There’s a lot of things I can do, that I’m actually qualified to do. And that thought alone eases the worries. A bit.

I hope you all are having a happy New Year! One of my resolutions is to blog more this year – expect to see more of me on here. But in case I can’t follow through on that goal, I want to say one thing: May this year bring you happiness and prosperity, whatever that may mean. And may it bring me sanity.

I’m going to go check my LinkedIn now.

All bests,

Justin