So…I Guess I’m Graduating?

The Graduation Program
The Graduation Program

I remember pretty clearly that day three and a half years ago when I first came to Pomona.  We managed to fit everything into my parents’ minivan somehow and drove the hour out to Claremont from home.  I met my sponsor group, my then six-year-old brother dragged my brand new roommate all around, and we ran down College with the Pomona mascot.  Back in August 2009, “Class of 2013” didn’t mean very much to me.  The year 2013 seemed ages away; in fact, it didn’t even seem like a real year, just a number.  This past New Year’s Eve as we were counting down to midnight I remember it hitting me that 2013 had finally arrived: my college graduation year.

It seems like ever since we entered Pomona, graduation has been on the far horizon.  I mean, as soon as you get here there is a full four-year calendar including your future graduation date. (Although it’s interesting to think—for how many people has that changed, if they took time off or transferred or left?)  Senior year started and graduation seemed a bit more real, but still very far away.  But now we’re almost halfway through my last semester of college, and suddenly graduation is creeping up all around.

The graduation schedule
The graduation schedule

Well, first there was a short form we had to fill out last semester about how to pronounce our names and whatnot.  But then it was out of my mind, at least until my grandparents were asking where they should stay when they come out for graduation.  Then suddenly all of us seniors got in our mailboxes a fancy little pamphlet with the schedule for all the graduation events (which you can also find here).  And just the other day we had the “senior salute” where we got measured for caps and gowns.  Graduation is still two and a half months away (it’s only two and half months away!?) but everyone else is making plans for it.

The thing is, I’m not ready for graduation yet on several levels.  I mean, someone obviously has to plan for Graduation and Commencement and all those important ceremonies, but for me it is still far away.  I don’t want to say goodbye to friends yet.  I don’t know what I’m doing next year.  Plus, I have my whole thesis to finish before then!  What if I don’t finish?  I don’t really think that’s going to happen (I hope!), but I’ve still got a LOT to do on this.  Let’s not make any graduation assumptions until we all get through this thesis in one piece, okay?

Regardless, time will keep pushing on whether I like it or not, and graduation is looming ever closer.  I’m sure we’ll be hearing a lot more about it in the weeks to come.  And then we shall start hearing from the Alumni Office instead! (whoa, scary thought).