Seven Notes About Attending a Large University

(Inspired by a semester at a Scottish school with ~30,000 students.)

1) Yesterday, I walked past my lecturer in the hall. I smiled and waved as she looked straight ahead. I remembered, after she passed, that I am one of two hundred of her students, and she doesn’t know who I am.

2) My upper-division courses are surprisingly intimate, and even my larger classes have small-group tutorials.

3) Despite the university’s gigantic campus, I frequently run into people I know, even in other parts of the city.  In the bakery, outside the store, near my apartment.  It may be easier to be anonymous here than at Pomona, but it can’t be that easy.

4) I turn papers into a wooden structure in the Philosophy building’s lobby. I must attach a cover sheet, sign it, and mark my word count. Also, I cannot add my name to my papers—only my assigned Examination Number.  If I’m one word over the assigned limit, I’m docked five percent (“five marks,” here.) If I turn in a paper late, I must file an official extension appeal.  This entire process is done before professors and lecturers are even allowed to see the papers.

5) I’ve passed my advisor (called a “personal tutor” here) in the hall several times. I smile at him, too, and he returns a slightly confused one, because he doesn’t know who I am, either.

6) The variety of clubs (“societies”) offered is incredible! I know the 5Cs boast a pretty diverse array, but this reaches some entirely new level. (That being said, my flatmate from Tokyo told me she was surprised at how few clubs were available…)

7) People camp out in the major squares and try to sell students coupon booklets. It’s hard for me to imagine some company bounding into Marsden Quad and following students trying to pick up mail at the SCC. However, I’ve also acquired free chocolate and teacakes this way, so I will not complain!