A Tourist in the Capital

On May 26th, my family and I drove down to DC, and there signed the lease, which was my first lease-signing ever, went grocery shopping, unpacked and got settled in. I was renting a room in a house there, and had five other housemates, but we all had our own rooms, which was nice. Only thing that’s a pain is being responsible for cutting the grass, especially when I’ve never mowed grass before. Before moving-in, I bought more than half the amount of ties that I now own, since that was part of the office dress code, and button-down shirts. It was just the beginning of my suit and tie collection (cue JT song). Only problem now was that I didn’t know how to cook…and I still don’t a month and a half later.

John Bryan PO '16, his friend, Nicole, and me by the Reflecting Pool
John Bryan PO ’16, his friend, Nicole, and me by the Reflecting Pool

Since I’m no tourist to DC, I skipped out on going to all the monuments, free museums, and the House. Luckily, my friend from my sponsor group was close by for the week visiting a friend at UMD, so we met up for Memorial Day along Constitutional Avenue. Floats, red, white, and blue, and troops filled up the main street with locals and tourists watching and cheering from the sidelines. It was my first Memorial Day in the capital, and it was great.We then went to the Washington Monument, the White House, Lincoln Memorial, and Reflecting Pool just because John had never been to DC before, so I toughed it out and took tons of touristy pictures, which was somewhat embarrassing on my part as a “local,” even for just three months.

Memorial Day in DC can be pretty crowded