Week One in the City That Never Sleeps

At the ABT studios
At the ABT studios

Jumping in to full days of dancing while acclimating to the bustle of NYC really makes a week fly by. I’m trying to savor every moment. My first week at the American Ballet Theatre Summer Intensive began with placement classes and orientation. We were lectured by a dietician about the importance of hydration and eating enough (but not too much) protein. The speaker stressed the rule about never eating more than a tablespoon of peanut butter a bit too strongly in my opinion. A team of physical therapists also spoke to us about the best icing practices and what we should do if we think we might be injured. ABT has a physical therapist on staff to help dancers with injuries or chronic issues. Fortunately, as of week one, I have not had to make any visits myself.

Our days start with a body conditioning class in either yoga or Pilates. These classes are meant to be restorative, and usually include self-message and gentle stretching – exactly what my tight muscles need first thing in the morning. Then we have technique class taught by one of the ballet teachers at the program. This is the core of our instruction. Classes are intense, we are expected to learn combinations quickly, pick up on small details, and execute each movement with technical precision. I can already see improvements in my strength and alignment thanks to the hours we spend at the barre in the sweaty studios of 890 Broadway. The rest of our days consist of various combinations of pointe class, pas de deux, jazz, modern, character, and repertory. Although the focus is mainly on ballet, we have gotten a taste of a variety of styles of dance.

In the middle of the day we have a much-needed hour break for lunch. I try to be creative with the food I pack. I have to bring things that will keep me going throughout the day without weighing me down so much that it affects my dancing. Snack-ables like grapes, pretzels, dried apricots, carrot sticks, and honey nut cheerios have made excellent between class morsels. I try to bring something with some sustaining protein for lunch. One of my favorite concoctions this week was a yogurt parfait with honey, blueberries, dried cranberries, and almond butter.  Today’s main course was a hummus wrap with cucumbers and soy bacon strips – delish! I also love drinking coconut water throughout the day. Its subtle sweetness and ultra-hydrating properties make it perfect for a mid-class pick me up.

Now that I’ve gotten into a rhythm I feel like I can really focus on improving my technique and artistry in class, and when I’m not at the studio I get to experience the endless vitality of this city. I can’t wait to keep exploring. One week down, two more to go!